11 Jun 2009

Song bird + Daap + Firefly

Who doesn't a have a huge collection of music in all your computers at home?
I was tired of copying, or pointing my media players to some shared folder on the network.
Lately i started using Songbird to listen to all my music.
But, keeping my media synced in all computers/platforms was a pain, so i used my Mac Mini Ubuntu server to run Firefly a Media server, that uses the DAAP protocol it is a protocol used by Apple, but hey! who uses Itunes anyway?! (hint: not me).
Instead one can use the SongBird plugin Songbird Daap Client to the same effect.
As the protocol uses broadcast, Songbird will pickup servers on your current network.
Firefly can be customized to use playlists, through it's own Web UI. (RTFM)
Problem solved :)

No comments:

Post a Comment